I often hear people’s reaction to people who speak up about different issues is “what’s that going to change?” It’s one of the most frustrating reactions to me, and you can hear those reactions across a wide range of issues from expressing concerns of inappropriate behaviors to national political issues. It is important to remember that speaking up about an issue is an essential first step to bring about change. I certainly understand that speaking up is not the best solution for every issue, but how many times do you refrain from speaking up out of fear? As for myself, fear is certainly the dominant reason that prevents me from speaking up in many of those appropriate situations.

This podcast episode from NPR’s Ted Radio Hour explores the different aspects of speaking up. It features the tremendous difficulties faced by climate scientist James Hansen when he speaks up about climate change, and social psychologist Adam Galinsky talking about the dilemma of speaking up and potential solutions. I hope this can inspire us all to speak up just a little bit more often to initiate that crucial first step for change. For those already doing so in those appropriate situations, I applaud you. 👏👏👏

“In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.” – Martin Luther King Jr.

https://www.npr.org/programs/ted-radio-hour/522852772/speaking-up

Yulong

Edited by Sydney Wyatt

For any content suggestions or general recommendations, please email to UCDBioScope@gmail.com and put science 2.0 in the title.